Finance Made Easy for Social Enterprise is a one-day course that is ideal for anybody working in social enterprises looking to improve their confidence when dealing with finances.
This course is also suitable for members of charities and other not for profit organisations that receive a substantial proportion of their income from trading activities.
The session will incorporate practical exercises and discussion to explore the key components of good financial management, including the role of financial controls; budgets; cash flow; management accounts and balance sheets.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for:
Board members (not just the Treasurer!) who want to understand how they can implement and utilise good financial management
Paid staff (managers) who are non-Finance people who want to understand the how good financial management works.
1. Financial jargon buster
2. Financial Responsibilities of Board members
3. The components of good financial management:
A clear finance strategy
A plan for generating income
Robust financial management system (includes: role of financial strategy; budget incl. Full Cost Recovery and knowing your break-even point); monthly cash flow; book keeping and bank reconciliation; monthly income and expenditure accounts; financial controls; meeting regulatory requirements)
An accountable internal environment.
4. Practical exercises and case studies to explore the role of all of the above
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
Understand the role of Board members in relation to Finance
Understand the link between financial strategy and organisational planning
Be able to calculate the full costs of your projects and identify your break-even point
Analyse the implications of cash flow projections and monthly management accounts
Understand the key role of financial controls for accurate reporting and in preventing fraud
Be aware of the financial reporting requirements for your organisation's legal form
1. This workshop is for people involved in the voluntary and community sector (staff members, trustees or active volunteers). If you are not part of an organization, please get in touch with us prior to booking your place
2. There is a £25 fee payable for non-attendance unless 3 working days’ notice of cancellation has been given. If three of our training courses are missed without prior notice, you will not be able to participate in any sessions for the remainder of the annual training and events
3. Lunch is not provided for this course. Ideally, please bring a sandwich or something with you so that we can chat during this time.
Please see our Training Terms and Conditions before booking your place. We ask that a maximum of two people per organisation book to attend as we have limited places.
We offer bespoke training and consultancy for organisations wishing to undergo a tailor-made programme specific to their requirements. For more information please call us on 02038939790.